To be a PAGD Mentor, individuals should:
- Be an active PAGD member.
- Have at least five years of dentistry experience.
- Be willing to share their knowledge and expertise with a younger dentist.
- Be able to communicate with a mentee as often as necessary.
Guidelines for both the Mentor and the Mentee:
- Neither party should use the mentoring experience to speak poorly of their employer or colleagues.
- Both parties should respect the confidential nature of what is discussed.
- Both parties should refrain from judgement about the other.
Tips for Mentors
- Both parties should notify PAGD staff or leadership of any troubles or concerns immediately.
Establish a welcoming and safe atmosphere
Be positive and honest with your feedback
Address misunderstandings politely and clearly
Encourage professional development
Provide insight about the industry based on your professional experiences
Help the mentee establish short-term and long-term career goals
Share resources that you have found to be inspirational and helpful